Saturday 12 September 2015

100 Climbs #90 - Horseshoe Pass

(Small Updated 13 Sep 2015)

On Sunday 6 September 2015 we decided almost on the spur of the moment to go and watch the Tour of Britain Stage 1 finish in Wrexham.

On the way I took the opportunity to climb 100 Climbs #90 - Horseshoe Pass. We parked in Llangollen and I initially rode the "wrong" way to warm up a little before turning around and starting the climb. I was not sure what to expect as it was classed as a 7/10 and 22 minutes of climbing. It was a reasonable day but there was some wind blowing. The road climbed gently out of Llangollen with nothing too taxing but then it gradually started to steepen. The lack of  a proper warm up soon became apparent and my heart rate was too high and it was hard work even though it was never too steep. After a mile or so I realised that I had forgotten to start my Garmin Virb and did not start it until just before the cattle grid. Around this time I had also started to get my heart rate under control by easing off the pace slightly and I began to feel more comfortable as well. 

I passed a couple on matching his 'n' her Giant bikes - we'd seen them cycling on the A5 towards Llangollen earlier, so they were making slow but steady progress:



 
A little further on this rather alarming sign appeared


Fortunately the sign was a complete mis-representation (it says this in the 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs book as well) and fortunately the climb maintained a steady gradient. After the sign the road swings left and then right (I think this bit is the 'horseshoe') and then climbs steadily up. In the photo above you can see the road climbing (the grey line) but fortunately once you have got to this bit the gradient progressively eases all the way to the top and I could keep shifting into a higher gear (still on the small ring though) and continue to the top and see the sign for the top:



A few hundred yards beyond the top is the "Ponderosa Cafe" - clearly a very popular motorcyclist haunt.



A quick turn around and small climb back to the top meant I was back on the proper descent. I saw the Giant pair again a few 100 meters from the top. The first pat of the descent was not great - I needed to avoid both potholes and sheep. However once through the horseshoe the surface was super smooth and I got up to 40mph on the descent for a couple of reasonable periods. Taking the cattle grid at 40mph was a moment of focus!

All to soon (after a short small climb) I was back in Llangollen and back at the car

Strava gave the stats here as:
Distance = 3.8m
Height Gain = 1026ft
Average Gradient = 5%
My Time = 22:15
My Average Speed =  10.3mph
Position = 1235 / 5616 

I was pretty pleased with that. It was a 7/10 in "The Book" but I don't think it was that hard. The hardest part was at the bottom as the gradient kept changing making it hard to get a decent rhythm but as the climb progressed it become more consistent.

Here's a video from my Garmin Virb:







2 comments:

  1. I do this climb quite often as I only live 11 miles from the summit. I usually bunny hop the cattle grid on the way down though! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - I think its a case of being bold and taking the grid as fast as possible and trying to "float" over it

    ReplyDelete